   Re: [xml-dev] repercussions

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 18:29, Tim Bray wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2003, at 8:12 AM, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> > He also points to a nice analogy from Mark Nottingham:
> >
> > http://www.mnot.net/blog/2003/12/06/qnames_are_evil
> >
> > It's good to confirm that issues derided as mere aesthetic blotches are
> > capable of causing real problems for sophisticated tools - and users.
> It is now crystal-clear that allowing qnames to escape from element &
> attribute names into content was a terrible mistake that we're now
> stuck with forever.  I struggled against this idea but lost.  -Tim

We can still try to avoid that they spread out into new vocabularies.

I have done my best to limit their impact within RELAX NG and I think we
should continue to bark each time they are considered in a new

The last I came on was in "new syntaxes for RDF"

That includes in its XML syntax requirements: "Be a ``modern'' XML
syntax - such as using XML QNames in attribute values".

Maybe we should also be clear about what's wrong about using QNames.

For me, it's not that much the use a prefixes which is wrong but the
fact that they rely on a definition which is part of the markup.

In other words, I think that this is wrong:

<foo xmlns:bar="http://example.com/bar";>bar:baz</foo>

But if an application wants to allow things such as:

<foo prfx="bar http://example.com/bar";>bar:baz</foo>

I don't see any reason to object. That may not be optimal, but that
doesn't violate any hard rule.

Curious about Relax NG? Read my upcoming book online.
Upcoming XML schema languages tutorial:
 - Santa Clara  -half day- (15/03/2004)        http://masl.to/?J24916E96