   Re: [xml-dev] Why XML Schema is so large

David Tolpin wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Why is XML Schema specification so large? XML Schema Datatypes, the part I need,
>is 14,000 lines long, almost as long as http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl, which is more
>than datatypes.

The absolute size of the spec is not a reliable criterion: tue extra
bits might be well-meaning nice
tutorials for example.

Instead, something like cyclomatic complexity might be more appropriate:
go through all the
normative text and count every branch word like "if", "and" and "or".
The greater the absolute
number the more complex the technology; the greater the relative number
compared to the
file size the more complex the text.  (There are, of course, more
serious metrics than this,
but you get the drift.)

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe