   Re: [xml-dev] Globbing versus Regular Expressions (was: Regular Associat

On Monday, Jan 5, 2004, at 10:29 Europe/Berlin, David Tolpin wrote:

>> Sounds like you've invented a more verbose version of XPath 1.0.
>
> Almost so. With a few notes:
>
> - it is not me who invented it, Relax NG is an international standard;
>
> - it is not necessarily more verbose, there are cases when it is
> significantly
>   more concise (or when it does not have an XPath equivalent);
>
> - it does a different thing: XPath is a language for addressing parts
> of
>   a document, Relax NG, and the way it is used in ARX, the utility we
> are discussing,
>   assesses that a document matches a regular pattern.

why limit this to locating a validation schema? why not follow it to
the logical conclusion: a general processing model?

the pattern-directed schema locator is an instance of an operation
   schema-match ::=  (document X (pattern X uri) ) -> uri
which is hardwired into a process
   validate ::= (document x schema-match) -> (true + false)

if one generalizes schema-match to
   pattern-directed-op ::= (infoset X (pattern X transformer X
pattern-directed-op)) -> (infoset X (pattern-directed-op + NIL))
where transformer may be, eg.
  ( ( -> infoset ) + ( infoset -> infoset ) )
and generalizes validate to
   process ::= (infoset X pattern-directed-op) -> pattern-directed-op

the result is a general pattern-directed processing framework in which
the approach is "if it validates, then do this", rather than "do this,
but first, make sure it's valid." sort of schematron with side-effects?