   Re: [xml-dev] Globbing versus Regular Expressions (was: RegularAssociati

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 10:28, james anderson wrote:

> why limit this to locating a validation schema? why not follow it to
> the logical conclusion: a general processing model?
>
> the pattern-directed schema locator is an instance of an operation
>    schema-match ::=  (document X (pattern X uri) ) -> uri
> which is hardwired into a process
>    validate ::= (document x schema-match) -> (true + false)
>
> if one generalizes schema-match to
>    pattern-directed-op ::= (infoset X (pattern X transformer X
> pattern-directed-op)) -> (infoset X (pattern-directed-op + NIL))
> where transformer may be, eg.
>   ( ( -> infoset ) + ( infoset -> infoset ) )
> and generalizes validate to
>    process ::= (infoset X pattern-directed-op) -> pattern-directed-op
>
> the result is a general pattern-directed processing framework in which
> the approach is "if it validates, then do this", rather than "do this,
> but first, make sure it's valid." sort of schematron with side-effects?

FYI. This is similar to the "assert-select-process" pattern which occurs
frequently in DPML processes on NetKernel. Often the pattern match is
done with XPath assertions (using the NK xpatheval accessor), though it
could be any operation which evaluates to a boolean inc Schematron or a
runtime Schema validation (DTD, XSD, RNG).

The DPML runtime compiles the high-level DPML process down to an
'activeURI' request on the NetKernel scheduler.    All XML processes on
NetKernel are sequences of scheduled URI requests on modular layered
REST-like URI services. URI requests are matched using regexp to a URA,
which is somewhat like a generalization of the servlet.

An activeURI is a URI scheme we devised for issuing a processing/service
request with multiple named URI arguments - so for example an XSLT
transform on NetKernel can be made with

active:xslt+operand@file:///mydocument.xml+operator@file:///mytransform.xsl