   Re: [xml-dev] Formalism and complexity

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 20:42, Nicolas Toper wrote:
> You cannot always break every systems down to pre conditions, post conditions
> and transfer functions.

what you want, what you'll produce, and how to do it - in layman's terms

thought that was pretty basic and formal. i'd be worried if i couldn't
break my systems down this way

> Besides, this won't make your program not crash.

no... but it will probably tell you where you went wrong - not
forgetting that the spec might be wrong

> I believe the point was here (and I might say as usual): complex systems are
> less (more?) likely to fail so how can we make easily complex system and where XML is
> a help for that. Am I right?

this is exactly the point and i think that's why we're discussing it.

xml potentially helps by providing a universal, verifiable data stream
to work with (for starters). things like xsl provide definable ways to
manipulate data (transfer functions), and careful construction of specs
(dtd/schema) means we can handle pre-conditions - a lot of discussion on
this list is about this exact point. this could be a very significant
development for computing.

rick