   RE: [xml-dev] Another mutated variant of the 'PowerPoint makes yo u dumb

srodriguez@bdgsa.net (Sergio Rodriguez) writes:
>.... and that is why a programmer has to have a Mathematics base.  All
>systems (software included) are based on discipline.

Before we get carried away with cheerleading for math, I'd like to
remind the list that there are lots of other disciplines out there, many
of which can be more directly relevant to the kinds of work done in XML
than is mathematics.

Acknowledgment of bias: the only math I took in college was Statistics
1, I never took a CS course (though there are some days I wish I had),
and I keep seeing powerful work done in this field by people with
degrees in things like English, Law, and Medieval Studies.  (My own
degree is in history and philosophy.)

I'm having a great time reading Christopher Alexander (architecture) at
the moment, and enjoying a discipline of a very different sort, not to
mention "Overcoming Onto-Theology", where religious and philosophical
disciplines are at work.  Yes, I think they're both very relevant to
markup - and programming - practice.

Math is important.  It ain't everything.