   RE: [xml-dev] wacky XML

That would be my contribution too.  I spent part of the holidays
working with my son and a Quake engine level editor.   It also
dumps a mediocre XML format (DTD provided but wow, a microparsing
dream).  The game industry today is a redux of the music industry
of twenty years ago because sharing behavioral models among
proprietary engines is not very successful (BTW, Simon, this
is where your theories about semanticless XML go south) and
sharing geometry has not been something in great demand given
the user base demographics.  With the very high price of games,
there is also no vendor incentive to pursue interoperability
(The case for global interoperation of systems based on
XML is still weak in general).

So this factors into the work being done on the web's
3D format, X3D.  It is simple to provide runtimeless
formats for games, but not very powerful or even very useful
which is why most of these I've seen so far are exporting
and importing into their own XML formats.

On the other hand, those level editors are often free,
12 to 14 year olds master them in a day and are off building
3D content, and there is a significant opportunity for
standardization with all of the usual attendant effects if
what one desires is longer lifecycles for the content, sharing
among different systems and all the usual reasons for
implementing XML-based systems.  It just won't come from
the currrent game vendors any time real soon now.

HTML didn't emerge from WYSIWYG publishing vendors.

Thanks for the URL to the herogames site, Ben.  That is most helpful.

len