   RE: [xml-dev] Why is xml:base a URI *reference*?

> I seem to recall that the thinking was that relative URIs are only
> URI references, not true URIs

I will never be surprised to find yet more horrors in RFC 2396, but I
certainly didn't expect anyone to tell me that the word "relative" is
not being used as an adjective to qualify the noun "URI".

The intro is pretty clear about the intent:

This document updates and merges "Uniform Resource Locators"
   [RFC1738] and "Relative Uniform Resource Locators" [RFC1808] in order
   to define a single, generic syntax for all URI.

Whoever gave the guy his knighthood obviously never had to work with
this RFC.

Michael Kay