   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Cookies at XML Europe 2004 -- Call forParticipation

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 11:02:48 -0500
jcowan@reutershealth.com wrote:

> Alaric B Snell scripsit:
>
> > >Please elaborate. Is it a browser issue? a server issue? Is it
> > >implemented but just not turned on. Name names. Who deserves praise
> > >and who deserves calumny? Inquiring minds want to know.
> >
> > Let me see...
> >
> > http://static.userland.com/userLandDiscussArchive/msg012483.html
> >
> > http://www.unixpapa.com/auth/basic.html#sec2.2
> >   \-> ('2.2.3. Why Digest Authentication Isn't Used')
>
> Specifically, BorgClients interoperate only with BorgServers and vice
> versa.

Ha!  I wondered about that.  MS's "WebFolders" works fine with Apache
using basic auth, but breaks with digest.  In order to use digest on an
apache+webdav server, if the clients are running windows, they have to
purchase a third-party program that implements digest correctly
(webdrive, f'rinstance).

BTW, and just as an aside: there are strong reasons for *not* using SSL
at times.  For instance, if I am editing a web site, then I really *do
not need* confidentiality (the pages are going to be publicly viewed), I
just wanna make sure that random strangers can't make edits.  And if the
pages are large, I do not *want* the overhead of encrypting published
information merely to provide access control.  WebDAV+digest is a good
solution for that (unless you're using windows to edit on an apache
server, that is).

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis                    amyzing {at} talsever.com
A hundred thousand lemmings can't be wrong.