   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Cookies at XML Europe 2004 -- Call for Participation

> I certainly don't agree that client side management is worse than
> cookies.

We've avoided anecdotal arguments so far, so I can just leave this
one hanging out there without a response.

> I'm not sure what you mean by "end-user knowledge" in this context.

I meant that WWW servers often have language saying things like "click
remember me to avoid logggin in each time (uses cookies)."  You never see
a web browser say "and by the way, we'll send this name/password over
the internet every time you fetch anything from this server."  In other
words, servers and users know about cookies -- they've been in the news,
and are in the public consciousness.  You can't say the same thing
about http basic-auth.

Browsers have had cookie-management tools longer than they've had
password-management tools.

> It may well be that digest authentication is uninteroperable on the
> web as it exists today. However, that hasn't been shown to be the
> case yet.

Did you miss the posting where I said IE5 just gives up?  Given the
market penetration of IE5 on the web, I think that's sufficient proof
that interoperable digest isn't available now.  Of all the web sites
you use, do you know of one that does it?
        /r$
XML Security Overview      http://www.datapower.com/xmldev/xmlsecurity.html