   Re: [xml-dev] Expertise and Innovation - was Re: [xml-dev] Non-Borgserve

Michael Champion wrote:

> I'll guess that most useful innovations tend to come from visionaries
> who don't fully understand the complexities of what they're unleashing
> on the world, and not the experts who are focusing on the details.
> That's more or less Clayton Christensen in a nutshell -- the experts
> were doing the "sustaining innovations" to make faster and more
> complicated mainframes while the Jobs/Wozniaks of the world were
> screwing around in their parents' garages creating the "disruptive
> innovations."
>
> I'm reminded of the (possibly apocryphal) story that Tim Berners-Lee was
> ignored or scorned by the hypertext community of the late 80's / early
> 90's because his stuff was so trivial and didn't address the interesting
> problems.  Of course, by ignoring the interesting problems he could
> deliver something that actually added value vastly disproportionate to
> the cost of seeing 404 messages now and then.
>
> Security is another kettle of fish, of course, and to some extent we're
> paying the price for convenient simplifying assumptions 10 years ago.
> Still, it would be awfully nice if something as simple as HTTP digest
> authentication turned out to add value vastly disproportionate to the
> cost of (whatever its downside is).  I don't particularly believe that
> will happen, but I was very happy to see the discussion.  If nothing
> else, it looks like that has a lot more browser support than we thought,
> eh?

granted. I was simply put off by some of the original posts. Sorry for
my noise.

The post (which I looked for at http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/
that only shows post up to 2003-12 -- thanks Simon) that cocked my
trigger was:

just a little too hard to stomach.

Luckily it easier to change your authentication mechanism than it is to
switch from a mainframe to a mac.

best,
-Rob