   xml-fragment (was Re: [xml-dev] Noise-free Complex Systems)

'Liam Quin' wrote:

>  The XML Fragment Interchange (a candidate recommendation since 2001)
>
>[1] may be a starting point, but it needs two implementations to get
>out of CR and move towards bcoming a REC.  Possibly that spec needs
>to be updated, as it predates the Infoset and xml:base for example,
>and maybe interest in it is finally building.
>
>Liam
>

>[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-fragment

I made an implementation about 4 years ago. A student programmer working
here
also made an independent implementation for his thesis project with my
collaboration
about two years ago.  (I have reported this to W3C previously. )

I think xml-fragment needs to be embedded in a SOAP application, and be
given a
WSDL API, because there are various options that are showstoppers in
practise:
in particular, there needs to be some parameterized way of specifying
how much
content needs to be provided, what policy to take with bubbling up or
down namespace
declarations, how to add univerally unique identifiers, what the
relation with
xsi:nill should be, how to chain multiple caches each retrieving only
the minimal
fragments required, how to enquire whether a fragment is still up-to-date,
how to specify deltas, etc

xml-fragment has limited itself nicely, but fatally. Now that we have
more infrastructure,
it is possible to make xml-fragment a little more Webby
(request->response) which,
in this case, would make it more useable and useful.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe