   Re: [xml-dev] Postel's law, exceptions

see below

At 10:06 AM 1/15/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>On Jan 15, 2004, at 9:04 AM, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>>
>>This is also the point of view taken by Walter Perry. However, what
>>you're missing here is the assumption (certainly in Walter's case, and I
>>think in Uche's and Sean's as well) that the documents are well-formed.
>>They are willing to process invalid documents. However, well-formedness
>>is their minimum requirement. Although the Atom folks frequently confuse
>>their language, what they seem to be asking for is the option to pass
>>around malformed documents.
>
>  I agree the *Atom*, being designed as it is for Mr. Safe and presumably
> produced by XML-conforming tools should be quite strict -- if something
> claims to be an Atom feed, it should definitely at a very minimum be
> well-formed XML. (RSS is another kettle of fish, it seems broken as
> designed, and that hasn't stopped its viral spread.  Don't bother trying
> to cure it, you might kill it.)  Atom's value proposition is that it will
> (someday) be a real spec, with real rules on how to produce it and
> validate it. It's less clear where the truly optimal place to reject (or
> optionally fix) a problem is.  That's why Gresham's Law applies -- no
> individual benefits from rejecting a bad document, but the system as a
> whole benefits if bad documents can be kept out.
>Atom can start over and build a community with a strong ethic that
>everyone should be checking for "counterfeit" Atom feeds. I guess I should
>just shut up and let you folks play Enforcer :-) but I'm skeptical that
>this will work (for human reasons) -- the net effect will be to create a
>"buzz" that Atom is something you don't want to mess with because you'll
>get flamed (or spammed <grin>) by geeks who babble about stuff that you
>don't care about.   In a world where Atom is stillborn, this whole
>discussion is moot.

There's a practical problem with this idea - most aggregators already deal
with RSS, and have started adding support for the early Atom formats.  As
an aggregator author, I can tell you that using a separate framework for
dealing with Atom is not a likely scenario; I'm using the same code to deal
with Atom that I use to deal with RSS.  As such, it has leniency for things
(like illegal characters) for both RSS and Atom.  I suspect that other
aggregator authors either are or will be in the same boat; asking people to
maintain different sets of rules for the two formats will seem odd to end
users, and require some level of extra work on the part of authors.  This
is a 'facts on the ground' problem - what do you suggest as a solution?