   Re: [xml-dev] Postel's law, exceptions

> Exactly how does this solve the most common errors in RSS (and most
> likely ATOM) feeds?

I love concrete data.  As the original/main author of the popular
RSSBandit, I assume you're right about these being the main problems.
Let me push back at each one in turn.

> 1.) Unescaped ampersands in link elements

Where do these happen?  Is it the links that the RSS/Atom generator
creates?  If so, then those are just bugs, man.  I don't have anything
new to say.

> 2.) documents with incorrect endoding in the XML declaration

This is bogus content generated by the generator again, right?

> 3.) Use of HTML entities in the document such as in the <title>

This is in the content that RSS/ATom is syndicating?  If so, then
carrying it as base64 doesn't break the XML purity of Atom and it leaves
the "you interpret the content" issue up to the client (client's
browser).  Best of both possible worlds, no?

Sorry for not getting it all.  Could you post an example or two?
	/r$

--
Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect
DataPower Technology                           http://www.datapower.com