   Re: [xml-dev] Postel's law, exceptions

W. E. Perry scripsit:

> No, we have only one kind of customer--ones who pay us to publish
> documents from specific sources at particular locations.  Our standard
> contract resembles as closely as possible those used by financial
> printers.  That is, we take an identified body of content (a document)
> when it is available, apply a particular form of proofreading to it,
> and publish it in an agreed, standard form.  [...]  Given the nature of
> the niches we serve, one oddity is that usually it is the consumers of
> securities order documents who pay our charges for publishing documents
> from the emitters of those orders.

Nevertheless, it sounds like you have contractual relationships with two
groups of (legal) persons:  those who provide content to you (and do not
pay), and those who receive content (and pay).  If you had no contracts
with the former group, you wouldn't be able to publish their documents;
if you had none with the latter group, they wouldn't be obliged to pay.

So far you sound like a pay-for-search engine like LexisNexis, except
perhaps without the searching.  :-)

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
"The exception proves the rule."  Dimbulbs think: "Your counterexample proves