   Re: [xml-dev] Postel's law, exceptions

jcowan@reutershealth.com wrote:

> Nevertheless, it sounds like you have contractual relationships with two groups of
> (legal) persons:  those who provide content to you (and do not pay), and those who
> receive content (and pay).  If you had no contracts with the former group, you
> wouldn't be able to publish their documents; if you had none with the latter
> group, they wouldn't be obliged to pay.

No, really, we have contractual relationships with only one class of customer for
this service:  those who pay us to publish specific documents. An annex to the
contract describes how we know that documents are emitted and how we may gain access
to those documents. Our customer warrants to us that he has the authority to grant
us access to those documents. By what contractual arrangement (to which we are not
party) our customer acquires that authority is of only tangential interest to us.
There are, of course, also plenty straightforward cases where the documents a
customer pays us to publish are entirely his own.