   RE: [xml-dev] wacky XML

This is a pretty late response, but...

I use XML to avoid Database DDL madness.  Googling "ddl xsql" or "sqlml" reveals a couple other attempts at similar functionality.

Basically, in my app, I define:

<database name="abc123">
  <column name="col1" type="int(11)" autoincrement="true">
    <comment>The first column</comment>
  </column>
  <column name="col2" type="varchar(32)" index="col2"/>
</database>

At install-time, I pass these through a translator that generates db-specific DDL calls (like CREATE SEQUENCE/TRIGGER for autoincrements in oracle).  Then I pipe that through the appropriate database driver and voila: I've saved precious brain space while supporting McKoi, Oracle, and MySQL as backend dbs.

Of course my favorite thing about this is that I can tweak our app's database schema in vi with xml syntax highlighting.

- Chris