   Re: [xml-dev] genx - abstract output

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:54:09PM -0500, John Cowan wrote:
> Tim Bray scripsit:
> > 2. If you're going to build an XML instance in memory, wouldn't it be
> > more natural to pull together a DOM or your own private data structure
> > and then serialize it in one fell swoop?

So I build a data structure and I'm ready to serialize it to XML.  But
there are a lot of nasty corner cases I don't want to mess up, so I want
a library to handle all of the details I'm likely to get wrong.  I'm
looking for something that guarantees valid XML output, or fails as soon
as possible.

Hm.  Sounds like genx to me.  ;-)

> > 3. This lowers the barrier-to-entry to implementers, who are going to
> > see genxStartDocument(genxWriter w, FILE * file) and say "oh yeah I
> > know what to do" as opposed to having to figure out another flavor of
> > I/O abstraction and write a stub of some kind.
>
> A simple implementation strategy would be to keep the FILE * argument,
> but also provide a call to set/get an output handler, to be invoked only
> if the FILE * argument is NULL.  That makes easy things easy and hard
> things possible.

+1

A convenient escape hatch for (a) building an instance in memory,
(b) transcoding, or (c) anything else, really.

Z.