   Re: [xml-dev] genx - abstract output

On Jan 21, 2004, at 9:29 PM, Adam Turoff wrote:

>>> 2. If you're going to build an XML instance in memory, wouldn't it be
>>> more natural to pull together a DOM or your own private data
>>> structure
>>> and then serialize it in one fell swoop?
>
> So I build a data structure and I'm ready to serialize it to XML.  But
> there are a lot of nasty corner cases I don't want to mess up, so I
> want
> a library to handle all of the details I'm likely to get wrong.  I'm
> looking for something that guarantees valid XML output, or fails as
> soon
> as possible.
>
> Hm.  Sounds like genx to me.  ;-)

So, *why* do you want to serialize it?  To write it to a file or down a
pipe to some other process, I'd say.  Unless you're going to send it to
someone else, why don't you leave it in a data structure where it's
handy to traverse, manipulate, throw XPaths at, etc...

It's just that the compartment in my brain where actual
angle-brackets-and-Unicode XML lives is right next to the one where
interchange and publishing happen.  And when I'm interchanging and
publishing, I'm usually talking to a FILE *.

  -Tim