   Unicode input in sam/X11

I know it is offtopic, but Unicode input and XML are closely related;
and many people here had contributed to sam's unix distribution (judging
by the aknowledgements).

Sam is an UCS-2 editor by Rob Pike

http://netlib.bell-labs.com/magic/netlib_find?db=0&pat=sam+pike

It worked for me but lacked capability to accept typed Unicode text under X11
(I type a lot in Russian and Armenian). I've taken keysym2ucs from xterm
and patched sam to work with it.

If anyone is interested, the patch is at:

  http://ftp.davidashen.net/misc/sam+ucs+indent.diff

Besides direct keyboard input capabilities, it has (and always had) excellent
compose mode, allowing to type Alt+cO for copyright, or Alt+X2014 for m-dash,
etc.

David Tolpin