   RE: [xml-dev] XLink and mixed vocabulary design

These are coupled functions that swap sides as we drill down:

someProtocolMorphToKickOffAFunction://somethingOneHopesIsWhereItIsSupposedTo
BeWhenFunctionFires

         ^                                          ^

 The Computer Science Part                 The Social Behavior Part

         ^                                          ^

 "and this should be HTTP"                 "And this should be in a
recognizable format"

         ^                                          ^

 The Social Behavior Part                  The Computer Science Part

and that is life among the mammals and the silicon.  Local development
and local persuasion are hard coupled.

The question is what are the advantages of sharing application
semantics for linking.  Again, we are back to a shared code
framework just as one shares the Hypertext function call in VB.

The Hytimers would point to a notation associated with a linktype
that is, before groves.  We've been around this topic a number
of times and it comes down to picking software.  The abstractions
barely matter because their effectiveness still comes down to
what an implementation enables for handling finding and displaying
locations within and amongst content types.  Regardless of having
a switch, a select statement, a dialog, etc., it is still just
application semantics for picking out of a list and associating
an event to that selection.  It isn't a big enough deal to
warrant a standard so even if the commonality is there, no one
has sufficient incentive to converge on it.

That doesn't mean SVG is wrong.  It means it has its own reasons
for using XLink and other applications may or may not share them.
One doesn't junk XLink.  It simply can't be mandated.

len