   RE: [xml-dev] XLink and mixed vocabulary design

clbullar@ingr.com (Bullard, Claude L (Len)) writes:
>Or admit that there is actually only ONE way to link on the WWW:
>
>someProtocolMorphToKickOffAFunction://
somethingOneHopesIsWhereItIsSupposedTo
>BeWhenFunctionFires
>
>       ^                                            ^
>       |                                            |

> The Computer Science Part                 The Social Behavior Part

Sort of.  I'm not thrilled with URIs as the one true identifier for the
Web either, though I think we're in roughly the same place on that. I
don't think identification and linking are the same, but I agree with
your next sentence thoroughly.

>Everything else is application semantics.  It is
>the application semantics that don't mesh although one
>can make that happen by the same acts that influence
>norms of social behavior just as the link design is
>imposed top down.

I'm not sure that using norms is going to be effective in this case.
There seems to be a trend lately where "norm" is defined by
"organization and vendor preference", not "quality of work".  That's
caused enormous pain on the schema side and created messes I expect
we'll still be cleaning in twenty years (when we finally have to replace
the schema-based systems no one wanted to touch).  Fortunately, that
hasn't worked for XLink.

>There is no reason XLink won't work.  It is a matter
>of persuasion.  So far, no persuasion has been effective.
>As I said earlier, that is because there are easier ways
>that only depend on different scales of local control.

I think you have something here, though again I think you're talking
about means of social control rather than technology.  You're suggesting
local persuasion; I'm suggesting local development.  In the absence of
effective persuasion for XLink I expect the latter will happen anyway.