len

From: Jonathan Borden [mailto:jonathan@openhealth.org]

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

>Precisely.  And there are the aliases as well.  And
>is Smith, John J. (1) born on Aug. 12 1954 the same as
>Smith, John J. (2) born on Aug 12, 1954 and are either
>of them lieing about that.

Oh, those are just the well known problems with names as identifiers :-)

Apparently there are names used by several ?South American? tribes,
which have components which are only to be shared with family members
etc. -- hence the need for a <given
confidentiality="foo">Fribbet</given> attribute. Names and birthdates
are not always good unique identifiers, particularly when you can easily
have *multiple* John Smiths on the same patient floor etc. which is why
hospitals use their own unique IDs -- social security numbers are not
entirely without problems, in two situations:

1) SSNs are *reused*, ostensibly when people die, but nonetheless.
2) Illegal immigrants often "borrow" a SSN from a relative. Not great
when they don't also share the same medical conditions, allergies,
medications etc.

In cases where it is really important to know who we are dealing with,
we attach a photo to the chart.

But I digress...

In any case to deal with aliases in specific is why I have the "type"
attribute on the <person.name> element. e.g.

<patient>
    <person.name>
        <given>John</given>
        <given>William</given>
        <family>Smith</family>
         <suffix>Jr.</suffix>
    </person.name>
    <person.name type="alias">
          <given>Jimmie</given>
          <family>Buffet</family>
    </person.name>
    <id authority="U.S. Social Security Administration"
type="SSN">111-22-3333</id>
</patient>

In any case, that is perhaps more detail than needed for many
applications, but for me its everyday stuff :-)

Jonathan