   Re: [xml-dev] Schema fragments for everyday stuff

On Jan 30, 2004, at 5:22 PM, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> It is for us too.  Identity results from identification; then
> the system makes it permanent.  Until then, they get a provisional
> identifier.  We also probably share the overlapping problem
> that some of our 'customers' are trying hard to fool us. This
> is a tough tough problem when moving them from cell to cell,
> ahem, bed to bed, so recent photos and so on, but danged if
> they don't work out ways to get around those too. They are
> relentless, innovative and practiced dodgers.
>
> Perhaps embedded RFID will help. ;-)
>
> Hmm.  I see you practice dot notation in tag names.  Any
> particular reason for that?

Both the HL7 and ASTM XML efforts arose from the original SGML Kona
project <http://www.hytime.org/ihc97/papers/harding/kona/kona.html>

(I wasn't involved in that at all). The HL7 project took on an object
oriented approach, while the ASTM effort a "document" oriented
approach. Rachel Sokolowski was the original editor and I joined the
project after we realized that my "XChart" documents were very similar
to the ASTM documents.

Dots, those from the old SGML practice (i.e. see the Kona DTDs). We
made sure to keep them just to drive the OO folks crazy :-)

Jonathan