   Re: [xml-dev] Schema fragments for everyday stuff

re sorting names

day to day use in english speaking countries - i find it indispensible -
it's the way my users think.

while from a technical perspective - ie finding a given record - the
index can be anything useful - like a ssn, but when you sit down next to
users and watch their interaction with data over a whole day or week,
they are noticeably more comfortable with meaningfully ordered lists.

i even have one user who just can't work with company names sorted
technically correct, when the company is somebody's name - they always
put them in the system as "lastname firstname pty ltd" - which is
technically wrong, but i can't seem to get them to change.

sorting and the use of sorted lists is both a technical issue (accessing
the data) and a psychological issue (comfort and efficiency in human
interaction with the data).

seems to me this is a very good application for name spaces where we can
have a generic such as <person_name> and an attribute that specifies a
name space for the rest, that is culturally, and/or regionally based.

eg <person_name attribute_space="en_au">....</person_name>

it might seem not general enough and a bit unwieldy, but a register of
attribute spaces for names, addresses, etc would be a good thing for
developers (ie i can translate your details now, or translate mine for
you) without losing local convenience and intuition.

even in a country as supposedly multi-cultural as australia the name
problem is solved by most immigrants themselves - they adopt localised
names - and when i ask them why, invariably i'm told that it's too hard
to explain to everyone they meet how their name should be used.

so, for my money - there are good localised definitions out there and
rather than try to make a big unwieldy universal definition, why not a
mechanism for countries/groups to register a definition centrally so
those that need to interact can do it easily - and if you don't need to
interact, you don't lose local convenience.

rick