   RE: [xml-dev] best practice for providing newsfeeds ?

> Are we better off preserving the original date, or using the current
> (i.e. last-update) date instead?  We too end up maintaining two date

Well, the UK government had a very difficult time determining what would
be valid values for "gender" when designing their XML Schemas as well.
I could claim that "gender" is remarkably clear semantics, and someone
could correctly point to the UK example in rebuttal.  Anyone who has
spent more than a week on this list knows that there is no such thing as
absolute clarity with semantics.

But I really don't see a big issue here.  Millions of people worldwide
use gender every day as "man and woman", and millions of people use
aggregators which use pubDate to mean "this article is 'new' if pubDate
is > Now()".  It works just fine, and if you were making the wrong
decision for your paying customers, they would have told you.  Maybe you
have customers who are asking for a feature in their aggregators which
allows them to differentiate between "updated" and "new".  But you would
still be the exception, and not the rule, I believe.  The original
question was about customer pull vs. techie push, and so far I am
completely unconvinced that there is any significant customer pull for
this feature.  Your explanation convinces me that you are a domain
expert in providing news information to people, but it's still not
enough evidence that the feature is motivated by strong customer demand
from aggregator users vs. the best-intentioned "push" of a few domain
experts and techies.