   Re: [xml-dev] best practice for providing newsfeeds ?

Joshua Allen scripsit:

> But I really don't see a big issue here.

Our customers did.  They wanted to be able to distinguish clearly between
new and updated articles, because our news is updated for the most part
when we make a mistake, and if we don't correct errors, people can die
because their doctors gave them 150 instead of 15 mg of some drug.
That could be any of you.

We don't make that kind of error often, but when we do, we run it as a
new story, note that it corrects the older story, alter the older story,
etc.  All this has to happen downstream as well.  Our biggest concern is
that no matter what we do to update our product and our customers', some
end user will fail to see the correction.  Well, we haven't been sued yet.

> The original
> question was about customer pull vs. techie push, and so far I am
> completely unconvinced that there is any significant customer pull for
> this feature.

The only way you can determine for sure, as in with people voting with their
pocketbooks, whether there's customer pull for an item is to implement it and
see.  Unless, of course, you work for a company that makes a practice of
implementing only what other companies have already been successful with.

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
O beautiful for patriot's dream that sees beyond the years