   Re: [xml-dev] Can A Web Site Be Reliably Defended Against DoS Att acks?

Bullard, Claude L (Len) scripsit:

> That seems to say that in no case should one risk
> any resource of critical value by putting it
> on the web because eleven men so inclined can
> always do it harm and this isn't a cost vs
> benefit issue.

Indeed.  Fortunately, few resources are of critical value.

> Is that really the case?  I read that Microsoft
> was able to defend their servers this time
> although SCO could not.

Microsoft's defense is that they can always buy more servers and
bandwidth without making a dent in their cash reserves; increasing
their Web presence a thousandfold wouldn't make a dent in it, though
the additional administration would doubtless be difficult.

It is notable that they decreased the TTL on www.microsoft.com, presumably
in preparation for moving to an entirely different IP network.

--
John Cowan  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com
The Penguin shall hunt and devour all that is crufty, gnarly and