   Re: [xml-dev] Can A Web Site Be Reliably Defended Against DoS Att acks?

Rich Salz scripsit:

> >That seems to say that in no case should one risk
> >any resource of critical value by putting it
> >on the web because eleven men so inclined can
> >always do it harm and this isn't a cost vs
> >benefit issue.
>
> No, security is a risk-management issue.  If a dozen men can take me
> down for a day, and my daily revenue is $10/day, then it's not worth
> spending more than $10 to fix the problem.

That shows that your site is not of critical value to you.  If eleven
men could (and were likely to) take *you* out for a day, you'd probably
be well advised to move to a new neighborhood, even if that costs far
more than $10.

--
"Clear?  Huh!  Why a four-year-old child        John Cowan
could understand this report.  Run out          jcowan@reutershealth.com