   Re: [xml-dev] Can A Web Site Be Reliably Defended Against DoS Attacks?

Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> Short of creating a mail client and server that prevented people from
> receiving mail attachments, how would you solve the problem exploited
> by this current virus on any one of the popular operating systems
> existing today?

On many UNIX systems, just mount /home as not allowing execution, so
people need root priveleges to install software, and non-installed
software can't be run.

UNIX systems don't really have this concept of an executable file
sitting there waiting to be clicked on, anyway - things generally need
to be in your path to get executed to begin with. If I got sent an
executable file as an attachment, I'd need to save it to my home
directory then open up a shell window and explicitly invoke it, with a
"./" prefix to override the path and execute a file from the current
directory.

ABS