   RE: [xml-dev] reply-to

Rick Marshall <rjm@zenucom.com> asks:

> just a small irritation - to the mail list manager
>
> couldn't we have the reply-to: on this list set to xml-dev
> etc so that a simple reply click will send messages back.
> sometimes i don't hit reply to all, and sometimes i forget to
> delete all the cc users.
>
> i know this sounds picky, but we spend a lot of time
> discussing user interface and convenience - this would be
> something practical in our own world.

I once asked the same thing and was told there are two reasons for this:

1) altering mail headers to change the reply-to is evil.  (However,
altering mail headers to add an extra cc record is apparently not evil);

2) the people on this list are more likely to send flames and private
messages to the list if the default it to send everything to the list:
although they have "quickly gotten used to hitting reply to all" they
are apparently still well enough behaved to only do this when they
really want everyone on the list to see their responses.

I also find it irritating, if your using a mailing list then I would
expect to have the user interface to default to using a mailing list.