   Re: [xml-dev] Can A Web Site Be Reliably Defended Against DoS Attacks?

Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> how would you solve the problem exploited by
> this current virus on any one of the popular operating systems existing
> today?

You serious?  You want me to solve one of the Internet's biggest
problems, when the world's largest software company hasn't been able to
do so?  Wow, such faith you have in me, it's humbling. :)

Anyhow, here's a couple of ideas.  They don't solve the problem of how
you get all those customers who are new screwed by the original crappy
versions to upgrade.

1.  The only thing you can do with an email attachment is SAVE it. That
probably meets the 80/20 rule.

2.  Provide separate executables that are viewer-only versions of the
Office Suite.  (Don't use the standard program with a flag as that's
susceptible to stack-smash attacks.  If the code isn't in the
executable, it can't be run.  Along those lines, use a special version
of LoadDLL that limits where it will load from)  Ensure attachments can
only run those programs.  Make it extensible, by providng an "Attachment
Exectuables" directory, and let others add programs into there.

Prior art: http://research.sun.com/research/techrep/1997/abstract-60.html
I think I created the concept -- I should have filed a patent. :)

	/r$

--
Rich Salz, Chief Security Architect
DataPower Technology                           http://www.datapower.com