   Re: A question about REST and transaction isolation

From: 'ari@cogsci.ed.ac.uk@INTERNET@wtgw'(K. Ari Krupnikov)
> User A GETs a resource and edits it. User B GETs a resource and edits
> it. User A PUTs the modified resource back. User B PUTs her version of
> the modified resource back, unaware of A's edits. A's edits are lost
> without anyone noticing. What I want to happen is B to get a 409
> "Conflict" or some such.

This seems identical to the WebDAV use cases.

I'm not sure if it counts as REST, but I have built XML repositories for
collaborative engineering that more or less appended the WebDAV method to the
resource path (as there was no support for selecting different methods in the
client), and use get or post depending on whether the resource is updated.

For a transactional service with prepended verbs, an additional verb
'/working-copy/foo' that gets the working copy of the locked resource '/foo' would
allow the temporary working copy to be got or put.  As the working copy can only
exist once the resource is locked, and a resource may only be locked once, this
resource is unique.

An example sequence of commands might be:

any-user GET   /foo              => the resource foo
any-user GET   /lock/foo         => the lock status of foo
user-A   POST  /aquire-lock/foo  => the lock status of foo having aquired a lock
user-A   GET   /working-copy/foo => the working copy of foo, initially the same as
/foo
user-A   PUT   /working-copy/foo => updates working copy of foo
user-B   POST  /lock/foo         => error: foo locked by user-A
user-B   GET   /working-copy/foo => error: foo locked by user-A
any-user GET   /foo              => the previous version of the resource foo
user-A   POST  /commit/foo       => commits changes working copy of foo
any-user GET   /foo              => the modified resource foo
user-A   POST  /release-lock/foo => the lock status of foo having released the lock

> A lockfile is a document. Just not one I would have thought should be
> exposed to the user :=)

The lockfile was exposed to admins. Users were verified by digest authenitication,
there was no need to bother with cookies or the like (this was for a secure
intranet, so that was considered sufficient).

Pete