   Re: [xml-dev] Benefits of SOAP?

Rich Salz wrote:

>>>SOAP currently offers very
>>>little (if any) functionality beyond what can be done using direct XML
>>>interchange over HTTP.
>>>

>You're not looking close enough.  It provides
>        Framework for multi-party (i.e., intermediary) interactions
>        Forward-compatible evolution (mustUnderstand)
>        A standard place for putting meta-data, upon which a wide variety
>        of capabilities can be built; cf WS-xxx
>
>For example, using WS-Security I can get end-to-end message integrity
>and selective data privacy, regardless of who else is participating
>in the messaging.  That's pretty cool; I don't know of any other
>middleware that really provided it, do you?

I included "currently" in the quoted statement for a reason. AFAIK
there's limited cross-platform support for WS-Security currently
deployable, though there have been some demonstration hookups. Of
course, you can also get the same end-to-end message integrity and
selective data privacy using XML Encryption and XML Signature, which are
what WS-Security wraps. I'm not saying that these functions aren't very
valuable - only that SOAP at present adds very little value beyond the
underlying XML technologies.

  - Dennis