   Re: [xml-dev] Benefits of SOAP?

> there's limited cross-platform support for WS-Security currently
> deployable, though there have been some demonstration hookups.

In my experience is better than that.  We have customers in
production that regularly interop among our product, IBM, Microsoft,
and some others.

> course, you can also get the same end-to-end message integrity and
> selective data privacy using XML Encryption and XML Signature, which are
> what WS-Security wraps.

It's a subtle point, but unless you use something like WS-Sec, than
you cannot sign arbitrary XML content unless you change every
single schema to include an enveloped XML Dsig.  That's not feasible.
Possible, but not feasible; you really do need WS-Sec and SOAP if you
want to exchange messages with end-to-end content integrity.

        /r$

XML Security Overview      http://www.datapower.com/xmldev/xmlsecurity.html