   Re: [xml-dev] Sun's senior IT architect Victoria Livschitz aboutXML

Dimitre Novatchev wrote:

>http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Interviews/livschitz_qa.html
>
>"The world has gone crazy with XML and then web services; SOAP and UDDI are
>getting enormous attention, and, yet, from a software engineering
>standpoint, they seem to me a setback rather then a step forward.
>We now have a generation of young programmers who think of software in terms
>of square brackets. An enormous mess of XML documents that are now being
>created by enterprises at an alarming rate will be haunting our industry for
>decades. With all that excitement, no one seems to have the slightest
>interest in basic computer science."

I had seen that too. I don't think she has twigged that XML, raised as a
side-issue at the
end of the article, could be helpful for the kind of problem she
complains about
earliers on: "subroutines, functions, data structures, loops, and other
totally abstract constructs
that neglect -- no, numb -- human intuition."   XML can allow a more
human-friendly
representation of things: a dog has three legs or whatever.

Cheers
Rick