   Local Vs Global Vocabularies ( Was RE: [xml-dev] When Spam Filters Spam

  • To: 'Michael Champion' <mc@xegesis.org>, 'XML DEV' <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Local Vs Global Vocabularies ( Was RE: [xml-dev] When Spam Filters Spam Filters Spam Filters Spam)
  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:47:04 -0600

Possibly but I don't think so.  I get a message from
that address about twice a week.  Because of the title,
this mail will get one too.  It just doesn't appreciate
Monty Python. :-)

"Spam Spam Spam Spam"

Anywho... better topic.  When designing vocabularies for
very large communities, how do youse guys/y'all/anyone
approach the dilemma of scale vs localization?  In reading
a currently proposed language, we find that the approach
taken was to review some n number of examples and boil
that down to some n number of productions.  It seems
sensible enough until one actually tries to implement
that for local sites and discovers how much customization
one puts back to deal with the fact that boiling it
down proved to be locally lossy even if globally complete.

Of course, XSLT cures all ills, but ....

len

From: Michael Champion [mailto:mc@xegesis.org]

On Feb 20, 2004, at 9:25 AM, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> Automation just ain't smart enough.  Note reason.

Or people ain't smart enough to install decent spam filters, or virus
scanners that don't spam the random addresses in an infected machines
address book that are forged in outgoing spam.  The state of the
automation art is well beyond this.  [I'm still infatuated with
SpamBayes after a year]

For all we know, this was generated by one of those spam filters
advertised by spamming :-)