   Re: [xml-dev] SAX Topic 2004-0002: XML 1.1 support

At 9:27 AM -0500 2/22/04, David Megginson wrote:

>- if a document is in XML 1.1, all of its entities must be as well;
>   in that case, should getXMLVersion report XML 1.1 as the default
>   even when an entity is explicity labelled as XML 1.0?

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. An XML 1.1 document can
include 1.0 external entities. According to the XML 1.1 spec:

An XML 1.1 document may invoke XML 1.0 external entities, so that
otherwise duplicated versions of external entities, particularly DTD
external subsets, need not be maintained. However, in such a case the
rules of XML 1.1 are applied to the entire document.

I'm not sure what that last sentence means. Can anyone answer these questions?

1. What should a 1.1 aware parser do when from a 1.1 document it
loads an external entity that uses an unescaped C1 control character?

2. What should a 1.1 aware parser do when when it loads an entity
labelled as 1.0 and which is malformed by virtue of using an escaped
C0 control character?

3. What should a 1.1 aware parser do when it loads an invalid (but
well-formed) external 1.0 entity which would be valid except for the
use of NEL in white space in element content?
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu