   Re: [xml-dev] SAX Topic 2004-0003: Unicode normalization

/ Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> was heard to say:
| At 9:28 AM -0500 2/22/04, David Megginson wrote:
|
|>- add a feature to XMLReaderFactory, such as
|>   http://xml.org/sax/features/unicode-normalization-checking; most
|>   appropriate at the factory level (Norm Walsh, 2004-02-19); Jeff
|>   Rafter (2004-02-19) and Elliotte Rusty Harold (2004-02-19) disagree;
|>   Norm wants feature in factory so that factory can return different
|>   parsers (2004-02-20)
|
| It's not so much that I object to doing it on the factory, as that the
| XMLReaderFactory has no setFeature/setProperty/getFeature/getProperty
| methods. THerefore it's not possible within SAX as currently designed.
| Perhaps we should add these methods to XMLReaderFactory. However,
| that's a bigger change that should be considered on its own merits,
| with a range of use cases, rather than being shoe-horned in to support
| this one need. I doubt that could be reasonably pulled off in Norm's
| time frame.

Right. I concede that it'll have to be on the XMLReader and
implementations will just have to deal with it.

| I suspect Norm was thinking of adding this to SAXParserFactory, a

No, I meant the XMLReaderFactory, but I had neglected to check that it
had features.

| hideous, evil monstrosity of a class that should be hung, shot,
| beheaded, drawn and quartered, burned at the stake, buried in
| unconsecrated ground, dug up, cremated, and the ashes tossed in the
| Tiber while the complete cast of Wicked sings "Ding dong, the witch is
| dead."

Go on, tell us how you really feel. So you'd be discouraging the EG from
adding the feature to the SAXParserFactory, then? :-)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Words--so innocent and powerless they