   Re: [xml-dev] SAX Topic 2004-0003: Unicode normalization

> Anyway, within SAX2 there's no such thing as factory level features
> and properties. Perhaps we should add this. Unlike a lot of the
> things being proposed for this minor update, this would be an API
> level change, so it should probably wait till 2.1.

Agreed-- but while we're talking about it... let me vote against any such
change. While I may be convinced otherwise I feel this adds a needless
complexity and another version dependency-- but for what gain? Currently, in
order to enumerate this you could simply loop through the available factory
names, create the XMLReader for each, and check the feature. Of course this
may be a performance problem-- but likely will not be noticed. As we have
discussed in the other thread about currently available SAX parsers there
are four maybe five that are free and usable... with commercial parsers
people generally have one at most (and why they wouldn't use one of the four
free ones is beyond me...)-- so it is a performance hit but the loop will be
*very* short (i.e., five iterations max). Even with all of that, I doubt
highly that there are any time-critical applications that don't know which
parser they are going to use a priori (or are not passed a specific factory
name that is known a priori).

Cheers,
Jeff Rafter