   Re: [xml-dev] Piccolo Java SAX parser and others in the wild?

At 7:41 AM -0800 2/22/04, Jeff Rafter wrote:
>Has anyone used or seen the Piccolo [1] SAX parser out in the wild. It
>claims to be the fastest SAX parser available (and was for awhile packaged
>with SAXBench a benchmarking software). It is not listed anywhere on the SAX
>project's homepage but likely should be. It seems to be the only free, java,
>SAX2 parser I haven't seen listed on the site. In the dmoz [2] listing there
>were a few others, but they were other non-freeware, or non-SAX2

Piccolo is not sufficiently conformant to the XML standard to be
considered for serious work. It also appears to have been abandoned
by its developer. In Java, pretty much the only open source parser
worth considering these days is Xerces. The Oracle parser is only a
little worse, but is not open source. These are the only  two
reasonably non-buggy XML parsers for Java that are in active
development at the current time that I know of. If anyone knows of
any others, I'd love to hear about them. (Note the criteria:
non-buggy and actively developed. I know of half a dozen other
parsers that fail these criteria.)
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu