   Is XML UI Language (XUL) Going Anywhere?

Hello,

  allow me to highlight some news from the XUL world.

  I've kicked off the XUL Titan Interview Series to
spotlight the personalities behind XUL projects and
initiatives and offer behind-the-scene stories.

  Ovi Comes, the project lead of Zulu - a XUL player
in ActionScript for Macromedia Flash, volunteered for
the first interview now online @
http://xul.sourceforge.net/post/2004/02/xul_titan_interview_ovi_comes_of_zulu_fame.html

  I've also kicked off an online poll to find the most
popular open source XUL toolkit in Java.

  Here's the standing so far:

  * SwiXML	 	  85 votes (35%)
  * XUI	 	          60 votes (25%)
  * Thinlet	 	  40 votes (17%)
  * Luxor XUL Toolkit     28 votes (12%)
  * XML Windowing Toolkit (XWT)   7 votes ( 3%)
  * SwingML	 	   6 votes ( 2%)
  * JellySwing/SWT	   5 votes ( 2%)
  * Jazilla NG	           4 votes ( 2%)
  * XSWT	 	   4 votes ( 2%)
  * Nyx (soon Xulux)	   3 votes ( 1%)

  I invite you to cast your vote online @
http://viva.sourceforge.net/republic/2004/02/poll_what_java_xul_toolkit_do_you_use_most.html

  To catch the latest news about XUL I invite you to
check out the XUL News Wire online @
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.xul.announce

  For a sampling here are the latest XUL News Wire
stories:

  * XTF - New XUL Tag Plugin "Architecture" For
Mozilla
    @
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.xul.announce/263

  * Luxor XUL Toolkit Now Apache 2.0 Licensed
    @
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.xul.announce/262

  * Eclipse Forms Upcoming In Eclipse 3.0 - Eclipse
Forms Programming Guide Now Live
    @
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.xul.announce/261

  * IBM Posts Abstract User Interface Markup Language
(AUIML) Toolkit to alphaWorks
    @
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.xul.announce/257

  * Daniel Silva Rounds Up XML UI Language (XUL)
Formats
    @
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.xul.announce/255

  * DENG Next-Gen XML Browser for Flash in
ActionScript Now Open Source (GNU GPL)
    @
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.xul.announce/253

  * Rory Blyth Defends Microsoft's Windows 2009-Only
XUL Wannabe (code-named XAML)
    @
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.xul.announce/252

  * and many more

    To wrap up it looks like every vendor or
open-source project is pushing their own XUL dialect
hoping to establish a defacto standard (e.g. Microsoft
-> XAML (Windows Longhorn 2009-only), Sun -> JNDC
(Java Swing 1.6-only), IBM -> RCPML (Lotus
Notes-only),               Macromedia -> Flex/MXML
(Flash-only), and so on and so forth).

   Why not work together and create a next-gen markup
language for UIs for everyone? Why repeat the empire
building and browser wars and balkanize the rich
internet?

   Any comments?

   - Gerald