   Re: [xml-dev] Quick question regarding XPath

At 2004-02-25 06:04 -0800, Murali Mani wrote:
>You are misinterpreting my question:
>
>Is it possible to say doc ("test.xml")/a//@b

Yes, that is valid XPath syntax.

>is the above equivalent to:
>
>doc ("test.xml")/(a/@b | a//*/@b)

If the above were valid XPath 1.0 syntax, then yes.  In XPath 1.0 terms it
would be: 'doc("test.xml")/a/@b | doc("test.xml")/a//*/@b'

>// is the descendant axis - not the root of the document.

Not quite true and your questions are answered when you realize that "//"
is an abbreviation of "/descendent-or-self::node()/" ... note how it does
include itself.  And also note that you cannot end an expression with "//".

So "//" of "//@b" includes the current node, so the current node's b
attribute is addressed, and it includes its children and descendent
elements, so their b attributes are also included.

>the question tries to see whether attributes and elements are treated
>similarly by the // axis

The question is not well phrased.  Since "//" is *not* an axis, the
question would be (I think) "does the // abbreviation give me access to all
descendent nodes and myself so that when I step away from those nodes in
the next location step of the location path I can hit both element and
attribute children I get all attached attributes and child elements and all
their attributes?" and the answer is yes.

I hope this helps.

--
Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction
Each week:   Monday-Wednesday: XSLT/XPath; Thursday-Friday: XSL-FO

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/bc