   Re: [xml-dev] Question regarding XSLT number function

At 2004-02-25 08:09 -0600, Bill Riegel wrote:
>I tried to use the follow line to determine if an input was a number or not.
>
><xsl:if test="number( input ) = number( input )" >

Yes, that is what I teach in my class for checking for a
number.  Specifically, I use it to help people use this in a predicate as
in the following sum of all children that are numbers:

    sum(*[number(.)=number(.)])

... otherwise something as simple as an empty child element messes up the
sum to produce NaN.

>I read somewhere that if input is not a number,  the function returns NaN,
>and NaN is not equal to NaN so this should work.

Yes, I believe this to be the proper justification for the interpretation.

>If my input is "75 F", Xalan 2.5.2 says it is a number, 75, but
>I have tried it against xmlspy and another IDE called Stylus Studio, and
>they but indicate it is not a number.
>
>Is there a problem with Xalan number implementation ?

Must be ... "75 F" is not a number in the IEEE numbering scheme.

I hope this helps.

........................... Ken

p.s. XSLT and XPath questions would be better posted to the following list:

There are a number of subscribers who would enthusiastically respond to
such questions.

There is also an *excellent* FAQ at:

   http://www.dpawson.co.uk

--
Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction
Each week:   Monday-Wednesday: XSLT/XPath; Thursday-Friday: XSL-FO

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/bc