   Re: [xml-dev] Quick question regarding XPath

At 2004-02-25 06:39 -0800, Murali Mani wrote:
>On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, G. Ken Holman wrote:
>
> > >// is the descendant axis - not the root of the document.
> >
> > Not quite true and your questions are answered when you realize that "//"
> > is an abbreviation of "/descendent-or-self::node()/" ... note how it does
> > include itself.  And also note that you cannot end an expression with "//".
>
>That is correct.. that matters if we use order predicates, otherwise I
>believe it does not matter whether // is descendant or
>/descendant-or-self::node()/ -- I think ...

I disagree ... if it were "descendant" then when you make the next location
step of "@b" in the location path you wouldn't get your own attributes,
only your descendants' attributes.  So I truly believe it does matter and
they are not the same and you don't address the same set of nodes.

I confess I don't know what you mean when you use the phrase "order
predicates" so I may be off-base trying to help you here.

--
Public courses: Spring 2004 world tour of hands-on XSL instruction
Each week:   Monday-Wednesday: XSLT/XPath; Thursday-Friday: XSL-FO

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/bc