   What's wrong with a XBL, SVG-RCC, XForms combo?

>>   Is there any organization interested today in
>> helping to promote a free XUL standard?
>
> Given technologies such as XBL or SVG's RCC (which
> would naturally  further integrate things such as
> XForms), what advantage do you see in
> having a standardised XUL?

  The point of XUL (XML UI Language) is to keep it
simple, stupid. XUL is here today and it works. The
only problem is that there are dozens of different XUL
dialects and varieties. That's why we need to come up
with a simple basic XUL widgetset. XUL is all about a
back to the basics e.g. if you want to create a window
with a button all you need is:

<window>
  <button label="Hello World"/>
</window>

  That's it. You can even create your own tiny XUL
player/browser from scratch in a weekend. (And many
already have). Compare this keep-it-simple-stupid
approach to a browser that supports XBL, SVG-RSS, and
XForms. You will likely need a year just to figure out
how build your own simple <button> tag using SVG-RSS,
XForms and XBL. Anyone wants to post an example how
this is supposed to work across browsers?

  - Gerald

PS: XBL stands for XML Binding Language and is
bascially nothing more than a CORBA-like IDL
(Interface Definition Language) that lets you "plugin"
your own XUL tags written in C/C++, for example. If
you use C#, Java, Python or any other modern language
that supports reflection (that is, built-in runtime
type information) you don't need the useless XBL
bloat.