   Re: [xml-dev] What's wrong with a XBL, SVG-RCC, XForms combo?

> The point of XUL (XML UI Language) is to
>keep it
> simple, stupid. XUL is here today and it
>works.
It is? then I guess we don't need to do
anything?
> The
> only problem is that there are dozens of
>different XUL
> dialects and varieties.
Translation, it isn't here today and it
doesn't work and I want to fix this.

> That's why we need to come up
> with a simple basic XUL widgetset. XUL is
>all about a
> back to the basics e.g. if you want to
create a window
> with a button all you need is:
>
> <window>
>   <button label="Hello World"/>
> </window>

Okay well the problem with that example is,
from my remembrance of playing around with
xul, yeah it was simple, but the simplicity
didn't scale. In all the xml based UI
toolkits I've seen there comes a time when
getting it to do what you want becomes
really complex. I sort of prefer the SVG
approach because I can solve the complex
problems by drawing the objects I need to
work with. Once I have the facility with
drawing the objects I can define a window
button dialect of my own and using xsl-t
etc. generate my svg and be done with it.

My opinion on this is however maybe not to
be taken without a grain of salt as I don't
really think the internet needs 'rich'
forms, customers don't seem to really want
them - given surveys I've read, and what's
more I don't want them. I hate forms.

drawing's sort of fun though.