From: John Cowan [mailto:cowan@ccil.org]
Sent: 26 February 2004 12:45
To: Paul Sumner Downey
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] XML test documents

Paul Sumner Downey scripsit:

> I'm currently developing a XML pretty-printer Perl module which i'd like
> test before releasing as Open Source. I wondered if there was a good
> collection of XML documents for exercising XML processors which i could
use
> in addition to my own feeble tests ?

The W3C maintains an XML test suite: see http://www.w3.org/XML/Test/ .
You will probably wish to ignore the XML 1.1 tests as well as the
not-well-formed tests.  There are two types of tests: binary (pass/fail)
and output (where the processor+printer must recreate a specific output).

Note: the intro material claims that the tests are only for Second Edition
XML 1.0; this is incorrect.  There are tests for both the obsolete Second
and the current Third Edition.

> I'm particularly looking for documents which exhibit a good range of DTD,
> characters, predefined entities and any common trip-ups which i might have
> missed.

We've got lots.  And if you want to donate your existing tests to the
W3C (under a BSD-ish license), you can do that too.

--
Unless it was by accident that I had            John Cowan
offended someone, I never apologized.           jcowan@reutershealth.com