   Re: [xml-dev] SAX - endDocument() confusion again

> Since there is no strong and explicit assertion in the SAX docs
> that EndDocument *must* always be called, this would indicate to me
> that in fact there is no such assertion at all, as this looks
> like a proof to the contrary.

These are the same questions I was trying to raise to Elliotte. There has
always been some sort of perception that endDocument is guaranteed-- but it
isn't written anywhere I can find.

> To me this would also mean that any exceptions thrown
> should stop the parser without calling endDocument(), as
> an exception is certainly a stronger error condition than
> a fatalError() call-back that does not throw an exception.

I would be a little more open about it. I would say that because it "may"
continue passing events, it is optional either way. With that being said, I
think that guaranteeing endDocument for the purpose of cleanup is useful-- I
just can't find it anywhere explicit.

Cheers,
Jeff Rafter