   Re: [xml-dev] Re: [Sax-devel] SAX - endDocument() confusion again

At 16:38 29.2.2004, you wrote:
>Maybe the best approach would be to re-define startDocument
>to pass encoding and XML version (and maybe the standalone value)
>for the document entity, and to re-define LexicalHandler.startEntity
>to pass the encoding and version for the entity, if external.

Yes. That could actually be the cleanest/most intuitive solution - compared
to XMLDecl handler that would always report encoding and version
(something like Jeff Rafter suggested). Maybe startDocument should pass
the label (i.e. encoding="some") if present (labels would have the highest
priority - otherwise bom specified or default encoding - but always some
values, no NULLs) and same for startEntity. Maybe the byte order
info should be there too.

>That would mean that Locator2 is not necessary.
>
>Of course, signature changes are not backwards compatible.
>Just thinking out loud.

Back to reality ;-) , I guess changing startDocument signature wouldn't be to
everyone's liking.

with respect,
Toni Uusitalo